glomasve

George R.R. Martin
Клетниците: част първа - трета (Избрани произведения в пет тома, #1
Victor Hugo

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms - N.K. Jemisin I loved this book - the human characters were incredible and very, very real, and the gods felt exactly otherworldly enough to be believable, while still being human enough to be so very sympathetic. Even though I have obviously never experienced anything close to what the characters have and did, I think the way that their powerlessness was represented was very real and very touching, especially that moment when you've just had enough of thinking and worrying and being afraid and the only thing you can do is say "F*ck it", and you don't even have it in you to care anymore.

The plot was quite good, too - I was genuinely surprised a couple of times, which doesn't happen often, and the fact that I had grown to care so much about the characters meant that I didn't simply go "meh" when things, inevitably, got worse. I was genuinely curious about what had happened with Yeine's mother, and I must say, I loved what I heard about her, and I love how human her motivations were, despite what everyone thought about her.

The part I loved most, though, was the world building and mythology. (Or wait, does the latter count towards the characters, since so many of them are gods?) The world seemed very real to me - thought that doesn't mean too much, since I'm not very familiar with politics - and the feeling of living in a country that was considered "less than" was portrayed really well, I think - it is true that living in a "backwater" country often makes you feel as though you and everyone around you is just playing second fiddle to bigger and stronger countries. I also loved it when Yeine insulted her cousin in a way that no-one understood. It was passive-aggressive, yes, but at the same time, I felt it showed very well how she was beaten, but not defeated, not to mention it is actually done fairly often by people who speak a language no-one else around them knows. All in all, I think the best thing about Yeine, and a big strength of the whole book, since she was the narrator, was that she remained true to herself without being rigid and unchanging - she was molded by what happened to her, yes, and one can ask how much of who she was was really herself, as Yeine herself did, but the core of the character I met on the first few pages remained unchanged, even after all the things that happened to her thorough the book. I love the message that sends - "Be yourself, but don't be afraid of changing, that won't make you somebody else."