glomasve

George R.R. Martin
Клетниците: част първа - трета (Избрани произведения в пет тома, #1
Victor Hugo

The Kingdom of Gods

The Kingdom of Gods - N.K. Jemisin I'm still overwhelmed by this series being over - I loved it, I loved the characters, I loved the concepts, and now I won't ever read anything else about them, and it's making me way sadder than it should. I don't even want to start another book now, because I feel as if if I do, I won't be as close to these characters anymore - and that is very strange for me, because I usually don't get this emotional over anything.

But back to the book itself - the main character, Sieh, was often annoying and bratty, which can really be expected, considering he is the god of childhood. Even so, I loved his different perspective on the world - yeah, his arrogance got really old, really fast, but as the fourth oldest being in the universe, I think it's only to be expected. I liked the idea of Shahar - the girl torn between what's easy and what's right - but I think having more "screen" time would have really helped her character - both she and her brother felt rather flat to me.

I loved that we finally got to see more of all three gods, and I finally started liking Itempas, too. I loved all the asides about how Yeine wasn't used to being a goddess yet and still did many things as a mortal, and I loved the subtle foreshadowing for her. And Nahadoth, of course, was incredible - from his always playing favorites, because his children were not equal, to his wisdom about the Itempas situation - I still think he had every right to be as angry and hurt as he was, and he still started forgiving his brother rather soon.

Glee and Ahad were awesome, too - I had already spoiled myself about them, so their reveals weren't much of a surprise (in fact, I found myself wondering if now was the time every time he was in a scene/talked about) I loved what little we got of Lil, too - she's a great character, always vibrant, weird as that is, considering who she is.

The plot was a bit all over the place, and I do wish we had seen more of that beggar girl with the silly hat - I really liked her and her street smarts, that nonetheless left her as a pretty caring person. We could have at least found out how she's doing at the end of the book, I think, though in a way, not knowing what had happened to somebody we knew reasonably well and likely cared about was a very good way to set the mood and make us emphasize with the characters. There were a few other places where it looked someone/something would be important, only for them to turn out to be unimportant to the plot as a whole. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not, but it didn't work for me.

Still, it did show how vast the setting is, as well as how diverse. I loved it all, as well as how much deeper the book delved into its own mythology. I've always loved learning more about things like how gods are systematized and how far their abilities go.

All in all, a great book - there were a few things that I thought could be fleshed out, but they didn't bother me too much, and by the end I was torn between reading as fast as I could to find out what would happen, and never reading a single page again, because I didn't want it to be over.